JUST GETTING STARTED? //
How do I ask for help?
You have several options.
- Contact a librarian by phone, email, or in person if you need help organizing your ideas and getting started on your research. Consult the list of librarians in order to determine whom you’d like to see. You’ll find email addresses and phone numbers there in case you wish to set up an appointment or ask a question (be sure to use your UArts email account when contacting us by email).
- Use the "need help?" link to the right to contact the Libraries by IM, during regular library hours.
Are there self-help guides I can explore on my own?
Yes! See our list of subject guides to various disciplines and special topics. These are intended as introductions to point you towards selected approaches and types of resources, such as, for instance the guide to animation resources. Equally important are the Libraries’ general Outline for Research, Introduction to Research, and the various citation style guides that you are likely going to need to recognize and use.
Can I begin using the Libraries’ electronic resources now?
Yes! Access is direct from campus, but as soon as you have set up your library account and obtained a barcode (bring in your valid UArts ID to get a barcode), you will have access from anywhere to a wide selection of electronic reference databases, periodical indexes, full-text e-journals, and audio & video databases.
- From an off-campus location, you will be prompted to enter your UArts login and password to access the electronic resources. You may wish to come to one of the libraries and ask a library staff member to help you get started, as some resources are less intuitive than others.
- In addition to using the list of electronic resources, you may also choose to connect to those resources from the library catalog by searching for specific titles, such as Oxford Art Online.
- Either way, make sure you use the Libraries’ web pages, and do not attempt access through the UArts portal. If you run into difficulty, call for help at 215-717-6280.